Will Madonna remake 'Casablanca'?
Madonna is reportedly trying to relaunch her acting career by remaking the classic film 'Casablanca,' said Howard Gensler in The Philadelphia Inquirer. "And people thought 'Like a Virgin' was blasphemous." Who knows, maybe 'Casablanca' would do
Madonna reportedly is trying to relaunch her acting career by remaking the 1942 classic Casablanca, and starring in the role made famous by Ingrid Bergman. But so far Hollywood studio executives have rejected the idea. (AOL News)
What the commentators said
“And people thought that ‘Like a Virgin’ was blasphemous,” said Howard Gensler in The Philadelphia Inquirer (free registration). Madonna’s film career has “already produced more turkeys than Butterball,” and now she wants to butcher one of the greatest films of all time? “Oh, it will be set in Iraq. We wish it were an April Fool's joke.”
Every time I hear a rumor as outrageous as this one “my inner core of movie fandom shudders,” said Monika Bartyzel in the Cinematical blog. But “what if THIS is the one that's not a rumor?” The London Daily Mail insists that Madonna is determined to make this film despite the less-than-enthusiastic reception, and a laundry list of reasons it’s a bad idea. For one thing, Madonna is nearly 50, “and Ingrid Bergman was much, much younger.”
Madonna has never been one to “give up easily,” said James Hirsen in Newsmax.com. And, who knows, remaking a classic—“one with plot, depth, and built-in appeal to the public”—might be just the thing to help her “establish her acting creds” after a string of flops, including Shanghai Surprise, Body of Evidence, and Swept Away. The role she reportedly wants—that of Ilsa Lund, the big love of the Bogart’s Rick—certainly “caused Ingrid Bergman’s career to skyrocket.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
Subscribe to the Week