Best Business Commentary
A “small but powerful” group of “supply-siders” blames the “credit market meltdown” on an “obscure accounting rule,” says Daniel Gross in Slate. Gas prices are “hitting record highs nearly every day,” says Marshall Loeb in MarketWatch, but you can help di
Blaming the bean counters
A “small but powerful” group of “supply-siders” blames the “credit market meltdown” on an “obscure accounting rule,” says Daniel Gross in Slate. The rule, “mark-to-market,” is a “crucial” transparency requirement that companies disclose the value of the assets they hold and trade. This is “a simple affair” for mutual funds, but a much greater challenge for institutions that hold esoteric mortgage-backed bonds and other assets for which there isn’t an “active market” to determine value. Calls to assign these assets an “imaginary happy value” until they are worth more would be more credible, though, if the proponents had complained when the then-“clearly inflated” assets were making them rich.
Saving at the pump
Gas prices are “hitting record highs nearly every day,” and should hit $4 a gallon this summer, says Marshall Loeb in MarketWatch. But don’t let those “$80 fill-ups” ruin your “warm, sunny days.” It may “sound like a no-brainer” but the first way to save money at the pump is to find the cheapest gas. Web sites like GasBuddy and GasPriceWatch will show prices at local stations, and gas prices are lowest when traffic is lightest, like “before dawn or late at night.” Make sure the price at the pump matches the station sign and that the pump “starts at the $0 mark.” And keep your car “in healthy shape,” with properly inflated tires.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- 10 things you need to know today: March 9, 2014
Subscribe to the Week