Best Business Commentary
A potentially dangerous wave of global inflation “is sneaking up on us,” says David Ignatius in The Washington Post. Amazon’s new TextBuyIt service opens up new possibilities by letting you purchase items via text messaging, says Eric Benderoff in the Chi
The coming rice riots
A potentially dangerous wave of global inflation “is sneaking up on us,” says David Ignatius in The Washington Post. And with the Federal Reserve “hosing the world with new money,” it couldn’t come at a worse time. We can get a taste of this “explosive mixture” in Asia, where people facing a doubling of rice prices in the past three months, along with soaring costs for other staples, are starting to protest, sometimes violently. The World Bank says 33 nations face unrest over “the acute hike in food and energy prices.” But it’s not just Asia. The U.S. truckers who went on strike this week over high gas prices have more in common “than they probably think” with the soybean rioters in Indonesia.
Why buy with your thumbs?
Amazon’s new TextBuyIt service opens up new possibilities by letting you purchase items via text messaging, says Eric Benderoff in the Chicago Tribune. But “do we really need another way to buy something?” As more people switch to Web-enabled phones, cellphone purchasing will become easier. But why can’t we just “go home, go online, and more easily determine” exactly what we want? After all, “it won’t arrive for a few days anyway.” TextBuyIt is “impressively fast,” but hardly “convenient.” You have to enter your email information and ZIP code, and await confirmation. And you can easily rack up text-messaging charges even if you “haven’t purchased a thing.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
Subscribe to the Week