The Bottom Line
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez continued his wave of nationalization, announcing an immediate takeover of Venezuelaâ€™s cement industry.
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez continued his wave of nationalization, announcing an immediate takeover of Venezuela’s cement industry. The move will adversely affect Mexico’s Cemex, the world’s No. 3 cement company, which is already facing falling profits from the U.S. housing slump. Venezuela took over a Colombia-based cement maker last year. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- California's epic drought
- Peter Thiel, and the not-so-secret secret of innovative success
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 20, 2014
- This week I learned the meteor that doomed the dinos gave us seasonal trees, and more
Subscribe to the Week