The Bottom Line
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez continued his wave of nationalization, announcing an immediate takeover of Venezuelaâ€™s cement industry.
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez continued his wave of nationalization, announcing an immediate takeover of Venezuela’s cement industry. The move will adversely affect Mexico’s Cemex, the world’s No. 3 cement company, which is already facing falling profits from the U.S. housing slump. Venezuela took over a Colombia-based cement maker last year. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Uber, and the growing threat of corporate surveillance
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week