BAD DAY FOR: French secularism, after a regional court in the Val D’Oise region, near Paris, ordered Ikea to pay $707,500 last week for violating a 1906 law banning businesses from operating on Sundays. French home-repair chain Castorama was sued for $550,300 for breaking the same law. Ikea says Sundays account for 20-25 percent of its weekly revenue in France. (AP in BusinessWeek.com)
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- What makes a word the word of the year?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- The executioners' lament
- China's massive pollution problem
- 6 grammar points to watch out for in Christmas songs
Subscribe to the Week