Cleaning up after the honeymoon
A University of Michigan study found that women do more housework after they get married than they did when they were single, said Jane Akre on InjuryBoard.com. So much for "looking for a partner" when picking a husband. "Women need not des
A University of Michigan study released last week found that women do seven hours per week more housework after they get married, while husbands do, on average, an hour less than they did when they were single. “It's a well-known pattern,” said the study’s director, Frank Stafford. “And the situation gets worse for women when they have children.” (eFluxMedia)
What the commentators said
So much for “looking for a partner for life and for help with the house” when you’re picking a husband, said Jane Akre in an InjuryBoard.com blog. Single guys were the men who reported spending the most time on household chores, while married women with three kids did 28 hours of housework a week, compared to just 12 hours for single women.
“Many women will wonder why this needs researching,” said News-Medical.net. And men might note the flip side of the “well-known pattern” described by the study—one reason women end up doing more housework is that men pick up additional hours mowing the lawn and doing other chores outside. “But women need not despair.” The average married woman does 20 hours of housework now, but in 1976 women did an average of 26 hours of housework a week, while men did about six!”
Men have a good reason to start scrubbing more dishes, said Jessie Whitfield in College Times. Another recent study—by Scott Coltrane of California Riverside University—found that men who do more housework have more sex. “Since the beginning of time women have been expected to clean and cook, so it's no wonder when their man pitches in, they would feel appreciative.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- 10 things you need to know today: March 10, 2014
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- SNL tackles Vladimir Putin's Ukraine invasion, politically and personally
Subscribe to the Week