Is the Marilyn Monroe sex tape in good hands?
A 15-minute film featuring Marilyn Monroe engaging in oral sex with an unidentified man sold for $1.5 million recently. So does this mean that Paris Hilton will
A 15-minute film featuring Marilyn Monroe engaging in oral sex with an unidentified man sold for $1.5 million recently. Memorabilia collector Keya Morgan coordinated the sale of the silent, black-and-white film between the son of a deceased FBI informant who possessed it and a wealthy businessman from Manhattan, New York. “The gentleman who bought it said out of respect for Marilyn he’s not going to make a joke of it and put it on the Internet and try to exploit her,” said Morgan. (Reuters)
What the commentators said
So does this mean that Paris Hilton will “be knocked off her thrown as the sex tape goddess?” said the blog 2Snaps. Probably not, if the man who bought it stays true to his word. But “hopefully someone made a third copy of that film, because if Lindsay Lohan just posing as Monroe was as huge as it was, imagine how big this would be if it hit the Internet!”
“If his intentions are true,” said TheImproper.com, the guy who purchased the film “is a class act and a true gentleman.” But we’ll have to wait and see. He could turn out to be a “total loser” who’s “in the same class as sleazebag porn-meister Joe Francis,” of Girls Gone Wild fame, and “Rick Salomon, who made and sold the Paris Hilton sex tape.”
This certainly raises “all sorts of questions about who the man was in the film and who actually bought it,” said the blog Celebitchy. Did the person who bought it have “some connection to Marilyn or the man she was filmed with”? It’s also a little suspicious that in the sex tape, “the man’s head is not visible, which may suggest that he planted the camera and she didn’t know it was there.” Not to mention the fact that Joe “DiMaggio offered so much money for the tape, and that he was married to her around the time it was shot”—was it “possibly him in the film”?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week