Good Day, Bad Day
Second marriages, outsourcing
GOOD DAY FOR: Second marriages, after Chrysler and Japan’s Nissan announced a deal in which Nissan will make a fuel-efficient compact for Chrysler and Chrysler will make full-size pickups for Nissan. Analysts said the deal could signal closer ties ahead. “That potential marriage, if they are indeed dating, makes a lot more sense than Daimler and Chrysler did,” says Argus Research analyst Kevin Tynan. (USA Today)
BAD DAY FOR: Outsourcing, as the IRS will probably lose more than $37 million by hiring private debt collectors to go after $1 billion in unpaid taxes. For fiscal 2006, the three private companies hired by the IRS collected only $49 million, half the cost the IRS bore to set up the program. Defenders of the program say the taxes would otherwise go uncollected. (The Washington Post, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
Subscribe to the Week