Good Day, Bad Day
Second marriages, outsourcing
GOOD DAY FOR: Second marriages, after Chrysler and Japan’s Nissan announced a deal in which Nissan will make a fuel-efficient compact for Chrysler and Chrysler will make full-size pickups for Nissan. Analysts said the deal could signal closer ties ahead. “That potential marriage, if they are indeed dating, makes a lot more sense than Daimler and Chrysler did,” says Argus Research analyst Kevin Tynan. (USA Today)
BAD DAY FOR: Outsourcing, as the IRS will probably lose more than $37 million by hiring private debt collectors to go after $1 billion in unpaid taxes. For fiscal 2006, the three private companies hired by the IRS collected only $49 million, half the cost the IRS bore to set up the program. Defenders of the program say the taxes would otherwise go uncollected. (The Washington Post, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- How Community's Dean Pelton broke new ground for sexual politics on television
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week