Good Day, Bad Day
Second marriages, outsourcing
GOOD DAY FOR: Second marriages, after Chrysler and Japan’s Nissan announced a deal in which Nissan will make a fuel-efficient compact for Chrysler and Chrysler will make full-size pickups for Nissan. Analysts said the deal could signal closer ties ahead. “That potential marriage, if they are indeed dating, makes a lot more sense than Daimler and Chrysler did,” says Argus Research analyst Kevin Tynan. (USA Today)
BAD DAY FOR: Outsourcing, as the IRS will probably lose more than $37 million by hiring private debt collectors to go after $1 billion in unpaid taxes. For fiscal 2006, the three private companies hired by the IRS collected only $49 million, half the cost the IRS bore to set up the program. Defenders of the program say the taxes would otherwise go uncollected. (The Washington Post, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week