BAD DAY FOR: Outsourcing, as the IRS will probably lose more than $37 million by hiring private debt collectors to go after $1 billion in unpaid taxes. For fiscal 2006, the three private companies hired by the IRS collected only $49 million, half the cost the IRS bore to set up the program. Defenders of the program say the taxes would otherwise go uncollected. (The Washington Post, free registration)
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
- Ryan Seacrest invested $1 million to transform your iPhone into a BlackBerry
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- How Vanessa became Jacob
- The week's best photojournalism
Subscribe to the Week