Awaiting Simpson's news, or lack thereof
OK! Magazine and US Weekly reported this week that singer Ashlee Simpson
OK! Magazine reported this week that singer Ashlee Simpson—sister of Jessica Simpson—is expecting a baby with fiance Pete Wentz, bassist for Fall Out Boy. The couple did not confirm the news. (New York Daily News)
What the commentators said
So, is she or isn’t she? said a Newsday gossip column. US Weekly also said that a source to Simpson told its reporter about the pregnancy. But Wentz wrote in an email to MTV that the whole thing was hogwash. “There is a witch hunt for people to be pregnant whenever they get engaged in Hollywood,” he wrote. “This is all news to me.”
Who are you going to believe? said Elizabeth Snead in the Los Angeles Times’ The Dish Rag blog. ”I choose Pete. He's never lied to me yet. But Us Weekly? Well, their accuracy record isn't quite that good.”
Well, an unplanned pregnancy would certainly explain Simpson’s sudden engagement, said the Gossip Girls blog. But until there’s confirmation, don’t add Simpson to the “never-ending list of expecting celebrities” just yet.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
Why is Obama still smoking?
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to live a long life, according to science
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
Subscribe to the Week