Padded bras for 7-year-olds?
British teacher and parent groups are angry at supermarket giant Tesco for selling a padded bra for 7 and 8 year olds, said the Alpha Mummy blog, and it's easy to see why they're "appalled." It appears that the U.K. is leaving the U.S. in the du
Teacher and parent groups in the U.K. blasted British supermarket giant Tesco for selling a padded bra in the department selling clothes for 7 and 8 year olds. "There is already too much pressure on children to appear grown up,” said a spokeswoman for the National Union of Teachers. (London Telegraph) A Tesco spokesman said the bra wasn’t inappropriate, because it was “designed for girls at that self-conscious age when they are just developing.” (Daily Mail)
What the commentators said
It’s difficult not to be “appalled,” said the Alpha Mummy blog. “How can we condemn the early and gratuitous sexualisation of children, particularly girls, and then have our biggest supermarket producing what they term 'pocket-money products' to get little kids to buy bras.”
A bra is one thing, said Radar Online, but these are “pre-tween miracle bras, which retail for £4 ($8).” Maybe this makes sense in a nation that gave the world Miss Bimbo, the virtual world where kids could practice getting breast implants, crash dieting, and whoring it up with billionaire sugar daddies.” It appears that the U.K. is rapidly leaving the U.S. in the dust “in sexualizing its youth.”
And Tesco isn't helping reverse the trend, said the Vital Signs blog. Let’s not forget that this is the same company that, a couple of years ago, put a “a pole-dancing kit in the toy section of its website. Striptease training for kids?” Tesco pulled that product, but only after parents and teachers complained.
“Excuse me—pole dancing outfit!!?” said the Working Mum blog. Maybe this is the start of the “backlash on the provocative clothes for little girls” parents have been waiting for.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Pope Francis' American problem
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week