Padded bras for 7-year-olds?
British teacher and parent groups are angry at supermarket giant Tesco for selling a padded bra for 7 and 8 year olds, said the Alpha Mummy blog, and it's easy to see why they're "appalled." It appears that the U.K. is leaving the U.S. in the du
Teacher and parent groups in the U.K. blasted British supermarket giant Tesco for selling a padded bra in the department selling clothes for 7 and 8 year olds. "There is already too much pressure on children to appear grown up,” said a spokeswoman for the National Union of Teachers. (London Telegraph) A Tesco spokesman said the bra wasn’t inappropriate, because it was “designed for girls at that self-conscious age when they are just developing.” (Daily Mail)
What the commentators said
It’s difficult not to be “appalled,” said the Alpha Mummy blog. “How can we condemn the early and gratuitous sexualisation of children, particularly girls, and then have our biggest supermarket producing what they term 'pocket-money products' to get little kids to buy bras.”
A bra is one thing, said Radar Online, but these are “pre-tween miracle bras, which retail for £4 ($8).” Maybe this makes sense in a nation that gave the world Miss Bimbo, the virtual world where kids could practice getting breast implants, crash dieting, and whoring it up with billionaire sugar daddies.” It appears that the U.K. is rapidly leaving the U.S. in the dust “in sexualizing its youth.”
And Tesco isn't helping reverse the trend, said the Vital Signs blog. Let’s not forget that this is the same company that, a couple of years ago, put a “a pole-dancing kit in the toy section of its website. Striptease training for kids?” Tesco pulled that product, but only after parents and teachers complained.
“Excuse me—pole dancing outfit!!?” said the Working Mum blog. Maybe this is the start of the “backlash on the provocative clothes for little girls” parents have been waiting for.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week