Akon’s bogus rap sheet
Hip-hop star Akon fabricated details of his criminal past, according to the website The Smoking Gun. “Akon has overdubbed his biography with the kind of grit and menace that he apparently believes music consumers desire from their hip-hop stars.” He isn’t
Hip-hop star Akon fabricated details of his criminal past, according to the website The Smoking Gun. Among other claims, the platinum-selling artist—whose second album was titled Konvicted—never served 4 ½ years in jail or led a car theft ring.
What the commentators said
“Akon has overdubbed his biography with the kind of grit and menace that he apparently believes music consumers desire from their hip-hop stars,” said The Smoking Gun. Among the many discrepancies of his back-story: He never served a “prison term between 1999 and 2002,” and “he was never ‘facing 75 years.’” But “why chance having your work judged solely on its merits when a little artistic license can make you so much more distinctive and marketable?”
He isn’t exactly a saint, though, said FoxNews.com. “Last year, Akon did run into criminal problems when he allegedly tossed a fan off a stage during a concert.” That “incident was captured on videotape and Akon appeared in court.” And he was also criticized in April of last year for having simulated sex with a 14-year-old girl on stage at a concert in Trinidad.”
Either way, it doesn’t matter much, said Allen Starbury in the blog Baller Status. “It’s well-known that many artists in the hip-hop world embellish and exaggerate their pasts in hopes of gaining street credibility. 50 Cent, The Game and even Jay-Z have been questioned about” their stories. At this point, Akon has “already amassed platinum sales”—he’ll probably be just fine.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week