Interpreting the Miley Cyrus photo scandal
Photos that appear to be of Miley Cyrus, a/k/a
Photos that appear to be of Miley Cyrus, a/k/a “Hannah Montana,” pulling down her tank top to reveal her bra, and baring her midriff while sprawled across a young man, are circulating on the Internet. This is the second time such photos of the teen pop sensation have emerged—similar pictures from MySpace were leaked online recently. (AP)
What the commentators said
“It’s not easy being the most popular teenager in the world,” said Deborah Netburn in the Los Angeles Times. “No one can keep it up forever. Somehow, somewhere, ‘little miss popular’ is going to mess up, and when she does, the pack will attack.” Especially when you position yourself “as a parent-friendly, good-girl role model.”
Cyrus may know exactly what she’s doing, said Gil Kaufman in MTV.com. “The pictures are the latest hint that the singer is in the midst of a transformation that could take her from a tween and teenybopper sensation to a more mature artist.” She even recently reached out to “the reigning queen of using-sex-as-a-marketing-ploy, Madonna”: Cyrus’s “YouTube send-up of Madge’s ‘4 Minutes’” supposedly “garnered” a “personal response from Madonna.”
Well, Cyrus better make up her mind, said FoxNews.com. “At the recent ‘Idol Gives Back’ charity event, Cyrus performed a song while dancing suggestively, causing some to question whether she’s still kid-friendly.” “But at the recent Kids Choice Awards, Cyrus took home trophies for favorite female singer and TV actress, thanking her mother, father, agent, manager, and ‘my lord and savior Jesus Christ.’”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: March 9, 2014
- This energy source could solve all of our problems — so why is no one talking about it?
Subscribe to the Week