OOD DAY FOR: Merger lite, after United Airlines reportedly called off merger talks with US Airways, amid disagreement over labor costs, and is instead again in talks with Continental Airlines. United’s new proposal is for an alliance, not a merger, with Continental. That would give United access to Continental’s international routes without regulatory oversight or workforce combination issues. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: A party in Detroit, after Ford reportedly has decided to build its new subcompact Fiesta in Mexico rather than the U.S. Ford has sold 12 million Fiestas since the car’s launch in 1976, but it was only sold in the U.S. from 1978 to 1980. The Mexican-made Fiestas should be on sale in the U.S. starting in 2010. (AP in BusinessWeek.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- Today in history: The birth of the federal income tax
Subscribe to the Week