OOD DAY FOR: Merger lite, after United Airlines reportedly called off merger talks with US Airways, amid disagreement over labor costs, and is instead again in talks with Continental Airlines. United’s new proposal is for an alliance, not a merger, with Continental. That would give United access to Continental’s international routes without regulatory oversight or workforce combination issues. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: A party in Detroit, after Ford reportedly has decided to build its new subcompact Fiesta in Mexico rather than the U.S. Ford has sold 12 million Fiestas since the car’s launch in 1976, but it was only sold in the U.S. from 1978 to 1980. The Mexican-made Fiestas should be on sale in the U.S. starting in 2010. (AP in BusinessWeek.com)
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The Black Death is back
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 10 things you need to know today: December 12, 2013
- Watch The Daily Show try to cheer the end of congressional gridlock
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- The toughest question for 2016 Democratic presidential candidates
Subscribe to the Week