OOD DAY FOR: Napa Valley, after a new study suggests that red wine, notably its ingredient resveratrol, is more potent than believed in extending life. Previous studies found that more than 100 bottles of wine a day would be effective, but scientists at the University of Wisconsin now say that four five-ounce glasses “starts getting close” to effective levels of resveratrol. (The New York Times, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Retirement homes, after Ed McMahon, the longtime sidekick to TV host Johnny Carson, is close to losing his six-bedroom Beverly Hills home to foreclosure. A spokesman said McMahon is in “very fruitful discussions” with Countrywide Financial. McMahon, 85, broke his neck 18 months ago and has been unable to work. The house has been on the market for two years. (The Wall Street Journal)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- How Captain America won over China
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week