GOOD DAY FOR: Napa Valley, after a new study suggests that red wine, notably its ingredient resveratrol, is more potent than believed in extending life. Previous studies found that more than 100 bottles of wine a day would be effective, but scientists at the University of Wisconsin now say that four five-ounce glasses “starts getting close” to effective levels of resveratrol. (The New York Times, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Retirement homes, after Ed McMahon, the longtime sidekick to TV host Johnny Carson, is close to losing his six-bedroom Beverly Hills home to foreclosure. A spokesman said McMahon is in “very fruitful discussions” with Countrywide Financial. McMahon, 85, broke his neck 18 months ago and has been unable to work. The house has been on the market for two years. (The Wall Street Journal)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make corn dogs
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
Subscribe to the Week