GOOD DAY FOR: Napa Valley, after a new study suggests that red wine, notably its ingredient resveratrol, is more potent than believed in extending life. Previous studies found that more than 100 bottles of wine a day would be effective, but scientists at the University of Wisconsin now say that four five-ounce glasses “starts getting close” to effective levels of resveratrol. (The New York Times, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Retirement homes, after Ed McMahon, the longtime sidekick to TV host Johnny Carson, is close to losing his six-bedroom Beverly Hills home to foreclosure. A spokesman said McMahon is in “very fruitful discussions” with Countrywide Financial. McMahon, 85, broke his neck 18 months ago and has been unable to work. The house has been on the market for two years. (The Wall Street Journal)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 10 things you need to know today: July 29, 2014
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
Subscribe to the Week