GOOD DAY FOR: Napa Valley, after a new study suggests that red wine, notably its ingredient resveratrol, is more potent than believed in extending life. Previous studies found that more than 100 bottles of wine a day would be effective, but scientists at the University of Wisconsin now say that four five-ounce glasses “starts getting close” to effective levels of resveratrol. (The New York Times, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Retirement homes, after Ed McMahon, the longtime sidekick to TV host Johnny Carson, is close to losing his six-bedroom Beverly Hills home to foreclosure. A spokesman said McMahon is in “very fruitful discussions” with Countrywide Financial. McMahon, 85, broke his neck 18 months ago and has been unable to work. The house has been on the market for two years. (The Wall Street Journal)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week