OOD DAY FOR: Napa Valley, after a new study suggests that red wine, notably its ingredient resveratrol, is more potent than believed in extending life. Previous studies found that more than 100 bottles of wine a day would be effective, but scientists at the University of Wisconsin now say that four five-ounce glasses “starts getting close” to effective levels of resveratrol. (The New York Times, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Retirement homes, after Ed McMahon, the longtime sidekick to TV host Johnny Carson, is close to losing his six-bedroom Beverly Hills home to foreclosure. A spokesman said McMahon is in “very fruitful discussions” with Countrywide Financial. McMahon, 85, broke his neck 18 months ago and has been unable to work. The house has been on the market for two years. (The Wall Street Journal)
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- The secrets of happy families
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Did God have a wife?
- Would you cuddle a stranger for $80 an hour?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Why Newt Gingrich is getting flak for defending Nelson Mandela
- The emerging budget deal is a small victory for Republicans
- Why Republicans shouldn't get too excited over Obama's stumbles
Subscribe to the Week