OOD DAY FOR: New Windows, after Microsoft joined the One Laptop Per Child project, potentially boosting orders for the $188 laptops. Adding the Windows operating system to the XO laptops, which currently run a Linux-based system called Sugar, will add up to $20 per laptop. Project founder Nicholas Negroponte said he hoped the change would ease skepticism among education ministers in potential client nations. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Puffed rice, after the price of rice dropped for a fifth day, for a total weekly decline of 14 percent. That marks the grain’s steepest fall in price since July 2004. New supplies of rice from Pakistan and Japan eased concern about a global shortage of the staple. “The wheels are in motion for lower food prices,” said UBS analyst John Reeve. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
Subscribe to the Week