GOOD DAY FOR: Indy films, after the latest installment of the Indiana Jones film series, The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, earned $311 million worldwide in its opening weekend. The $151 million domestic take made Indiana Jones the second-highest Memorial Day weekend draw ever, falling just $2 million short of last year’s Pirates of the Caribbean movie. (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Selling sex, after a trademark board ruled that Victoria’s Secret’s “So Sexy” hair-product campaign violates the trademarks held by Sexy Hair Concepts LLC. Victoria’s Secret appealed the ruling over the weekend, citing a study it funded showing that few people associated the word sexy with any one hair-care product. (AP in Google News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week