GOOD DAY FOR: Indy films, after the latest installment of the Indiana Jones film series, The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, earned $311 million worldwide in its opening weekend. The $151 million domestic take made Indiana Jones the second-highest Memorial Day weekend draw ever, falling just $2 million short of last year’s Pirates of the Caribbean movie. (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Selling sex, after a trademark board ruled that Victoria’s Secret’s “So Sexy” hair-product campaign violates the trademarks held by Sexy Hair Concepts LLC. Victoria’s Secret appealed the ruling over the weekend, citing a study it funded showing that few people associated the word sexy with any one hair-care product. (AP in Google News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to survive a spaceship disaster
- Head to head: Wild vs. supermarket turkeys
Subscribe to the Week