GOOD DAY FOR: Indy films, after the latest installment of the Indiana Jones film series, The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, earned $311 million worldwide in its opening weekend. The $151 million domestic take made Indiana Jones the second-highest Memorial Day weekend draw ever, falling just $2 million short of last year’s Pirates of the Caribbean movie. (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Selling sex, after a trademark board ruled that Victoria’s Secret’s “So Sexy” hair-product campaign violates the trademarks held by Sexy Hair Concepts LLC. Victoria’s Secret appealed the ruling over the weekend, citing a study it funded showing that few people associated the word sexy with any one hair-care product. (AP in Google News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- California's drought has reached Biblical-plague proportions. It's time for a drastic measure.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week