GOOD DAY FOR: Indy films, after the latest installment of the Indiana Jones film series, The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, earned $311 million worldwide in its opening weekend. The $151 million domestic take made Indiana Jones the second-highest Memorial Day weekend draw ever, falling just $2 million short of last year’s Pirates of the Caribbean movie. (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Selling sex, after a trademark board ruled that Victoria’s Secret’s “So Sexy” hair-product campaign violates the trademarks held by Sexy Hair Concepts LLC. Victoria’s Secret appealed the ruling over the weekend, citing a study it funded showing that few people associated the word sexy with any one hair-care product. (AP in Google News)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
Subscribe to the Week