OOD DAY FOR: The Man, after the worlds largest publicly traded hedge fund manager, the London-based Man Group, said its annual net income rose 55 percent, to $1.7 billion, and it doubled its dividend. The company said it is attracting new investors even as the hedge industry is seeing declining investment. Man Group dates back to 1783, when it traded in sugar. (Bloomberg)
BAD DAY FOR: Fashion policing, after Dunkin’ Donuts pulled an online iced coffee ad featuring celebrity chef Rachael Ray, following complaints about Ray’s scarf. Critics said the scarf looked like the traditional garb worn by Arab men, signaling symbolic support for terrorism. Dunkin’ Donuts said the scarf was actually paisley, and was chosen by the ad shoot stylist. (AP in BusinessWeek.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week