Get your credit report. A credit report can be obtained for free from the three bureaus at Annualcreditreport.com. “Ordering one every four months will give you more chances to spot suspicious stuff.”
Only carry what you need when shopping. “Limit the credit cards you carry to one or two.”
Switch PIN codes for debit cards “about every six months.” You can “strengthen” passwords by making them “at least eight characters” and including letters, numbers, and symbols.
Stick with what you know and use only ATMs that “bear the name of familiar financial institutions.” By using private ATMs, you risk having data skimmed off your card’s magnetic strip.
Protect your computer before shopping online. You should make sure to update your “security patch and anti-virus software” regularly.
Source: Shop Smart
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 deliciously garlicky dishes for summer
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
Subscribe to the Week