et your credit report. A credit report can be obtained for free from the three bureaus at Annualcreditreport.com. “Ordering one every four months will give you more chances to spot suspicious stuff.”
Only carry what you need when shopping. “Limit the credit cards you carry to one or two.”
Switch PIN codes for debit cards “about every six months.” You can “strengthen” passwords by making them “at least eight characters” and including letters, numbers, and symbols.
Stick with what you know and use only ATMs that “bear the name of familiar financial institutions.” By using private ATMs, you risk having data skimmed off your card’s magnetic strip.
Protect your computer before shopping online. You should make sure to update your “security patch and anti-virus software” regularly.
Source: Shop Smart
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
Subscribe to the Week