Can’t decide what new gadget to buy? The BUG is a “Wi-Fi-ready, iPhone-sized mini computer” around which you can design nearly any gadget imaginable, “no matter how strange or specialized the purpose.” Bug Labs takes care of the hardware: Available attachments include everything from a camera to a radar detector, and you can put them together “like Legos.” True, the company expects you to write the complicated software needed to run these devices. But those who “can’t code Java and AWT” can download software written by other users from the Bug website.
Price: Starting at $59
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How I lost all my money
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week