Can’t decide what new gadget to buy? The BUG is a “Wi-Fi-ready, iPhone-sized mini computer” around which you can design nearly any gadget imaginable, “no matter how strange or specialized the purpose.” Bug Labs takes care of the hardware: Available attachments include everything from a camera to a radar detector, and you can put them together “like Legos.” True, the company expects you to write the complicated software needed to run these devices. But those who “can’t code Java and AWT” can download software written by other users from the Bug website.
Price: Starting at $59
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
Subscribe to the Week