Can’t decide what new gadget to buy? The BUG is a “Wi-Fi-ready, iPhone-sized mini computer” around which you can design nearly any gadget imaginable, “no matter how strange or specialized the purpose.” Bug Labs takes care of the hardware: Available attachments include everything from a camera to a radar detector, and you can put them together “like Legos.” True, the company expects you to write the complicated software needed to run these devices. But those who “can’t code Java and AWT” can download software written by other users from the Bug website.
Price: Starting at $59
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week