Can’t decide what new gadget to buy? The BUG is a “Wi-Fi-ready, iPhone-sized mini computer” around which you can design nearly any gadget imaginable, “no matter how strange or specialized the purpose.” Bug Labs takes care of the hardware: Available attachments include everything from a camera to a radar detector, and you can put them together “like Legos.” True, the company expects you to write the complicated software needed to run these devices. But those who “can’t code Java and AWT” can download software written by other users from the Bug website.
Price: Starting at $59
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week