GOOD DAY FOR: Compulsive day traders, as E-Trade Financial is giving its customers a free program that will allow them to trade stock and stock options on their BlackBerry handhelds. The application, E-Trade Mobile Pro, will also let BlackBerry users get news and create watch lists. It will be available for download today, E-Trade said. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Asian drivers, after India and Malaysia raised gas prices to ease the burden of state oil subsidies. India raised gas and diesel prices about 10 percent and Malaysia hiked gas prices 41 percent. Fuel subsidies are expected to cost India $57.8 billion this year, or more than 3 percent of GDP. Indonesia and Sri Lanka also raised gas prices last month. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- This week I learned your coin toss odds are better than you think, and more
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
Subscribe to the Week