GOOD DAY FOR: Compulsive day traders, as E-Trade Financial is giving its customers a free program that will allow them to trade stock and stock options on their BlackBerry handhelds. The application, E-Trade Mobile Pro, will also let BlackBerry users get news and create watch lists. It will be available for download today, E-Trade said. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Asian drivers, after India and Malaysia raised gas prices to ease the burden of state oil subsidies. India raised gas and diesel prices about 10 percent and Malaysia hiked gas prices 41 percent. Fuel subsidies are expected to cost India $57.8 billion this year, or more than 3 percent of GDP. Indonesia and Sri Lanka also raised gas prices last month. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
Why is Obama still smoking?
- Imagine: The Democratic States of America
Subscribe to the Week