GOOD DAY FOR: Compulsive day traders, as E-Trade Financial is giving its customers a free program that will allow them to trade stock and stock options on their BlackBerry handhelds. The application, E-Trade Mobile Pro, will also let BlackBerry users get news and create watch lists. It will be available for download today, E-Trade said. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Asian drivers, after India and Malaysia raised gas prices to ease the burden of state oil subsidies. India raised gas and diesel prices about 10 percent and Malaysia hiked gas prices 41 percent. Fuel subsidies are expected to cost India $57.8 billion this year, or more than 3 percent of GDP. Indonesia and Sri Lanka also raised gas prices last month. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- It's time to kill school picture day
Subscribe to the Week