GOOD DAY FOR: Compulsive day traders, as E-Trade Financial is giving its customers a free program that will allow them to trade stock and stock options on their BlackBerry handhelds. The application, E-Trade Mobile Pro, will also let BlackBerry users get news and create watch lists. It will be available for download today, E-Trade said. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Asian drivers, after India and Malaysia raised gas prices to ease the burden of state oil subsidies. India raised gas and diesel prices about 10 percent and Malaysia hiked gas prices 41 percent. Fuel subsidies are expected to cost India $57.8 billion this year, or more than 3 percent of GDP. Indonesia and Sri Lanka also raised gas prices last month. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
Subscribe to the Week