News Corp. said that Jane Friedman is resigning as CEO of its HarperCollins publishing house, effective immediately. Friedman is the second publishing executive to leave recently, following Random House CEO Peter Olsen. Although publishing is experiencing a difficult adjustment to a move online by readers, Friedman is leaving after turning HarperCollins into one of the most successful book publishers in the industry. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
Subscribe to the Week