News Corp. said that Jane Friedman is resigning as CEO of its HarperCollins publishing house, effective immediately. Friedman is the second publishing executive to leave recently, following Random House CEO Peter Olsen. Although publishing is experiencing a difficult adjustment to a move online by readers, Friedman is leaving after turning HarperCollins into one of the most successful book publishers in the industry. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
Subscribe to the Week