Oil and natural gas producer XTO Energy agreed to buy closely held Hunt Petroleum for $4.2 billion, in a move that will add profitable wells to its holdings. Hunt traces its roots back legendary Texas oilman H.L. Hunt. The pending sale has exacerbated a family feud among Hunt’s heirs. XTO shares are up more than 30 percent this year. (The New York Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week