Oil and natural gas producer XTO Energy agreed to buy closely held Hunt Petroleum for $4.2 billion, in a move that will add profitable wells to its holdings. Hunt traces its roots back legendary Texas oilman H.L. Hunt. The pending sale has exacerbated a family feud among Hunt’s heirs. XTO shares are up more than 30 percent this year. (The New York Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- Could better U.S.-Cuban relations thwart baseball's human smuggling problem?
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- The liberation of Barack Obama
Subscribe to the Week