Oil and natural gas producer XTO Energy agreed to buy closely held Hunt Petroleum for $4.2 billion, in a move that will add profitable wells to its holdings. Hunt traces its roots back legendary Texas oilman H.L. Hunt. The pending sale has exacerbated a family feud among Hunt’s heirs. XTO shares are up more than 30 percent this year. (The New York Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
Subscribe to the Week