Oil and natural gas producer XTO Energy agreed to buy closely held Hunt Petroleum for $4.2 billion, in a move that will add profitable wells to its holdings. Hunt traces its roots back legendary Texas oilman H.L. Hunt. The pending sale has exacerbated a family feud among Hunt’s heirs. XTO shares are up more than 30 percent this year. (The New York Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
Subscribe to the Week