Oil and natural gas producer XTO Energy agreed to buy closely held Hunt Petroleum for $4.2 billion, in a move that will add profitable wells to its holdings. Hunt traces its roots back legendary Texas oilman H.L. Hunt. The pending sale has exacerbated a family feud among Hunt’s heirs. XTO shares are up more than 30 percent this year. (The New York Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- 10 self-sabotaging interview mistakes to avoid
Subscribe to the Week