GOOD DAY FOR: A drug war, as Pfizer, the world’s largest drugmaker, is considering a counteroffer for Indian generics giant Ranbaxy Laboratories, the Business Standard newspaper reported. Japan’s Daiichi Sankyo bid $4.6 billion for Ranbaxy earlier this week. A Ranbaxy spokesman called the report “speculation,” adding, “We have a binding contract with Daiichi. It is a final contract.” (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Overpacking, after United Airlines and US Airways both said they will charge $15 for passengers’ first checked bag, following American Airlines’ lead. Most U.S. airlines, except for Southwest, already charge $25 for checking a second piece of luggage. US Airways also said it will cut 1,700 jobs, shrink its fleet, and start charging for all in-flight beverages. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- 10 things you need to know today: July 22, 2014
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why America is duty-bound to help Iraqi Christians
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
Subscribe to the Week