OOD DAY FOR: A drug war, as Pfizer, the world’s largest drugmaker, is considering a counteroffer for Indian generics giant Ranbaxy Laboratories, the Business Standard newspaper reported. Japan’s Daiichi Sankyo bid $4.6 billion for Ranbaxy earlier this week. A Ranbaxy spokesman called the report “speculation,” adding, “We have a binding contract with Daiichi. It is a final contract.” (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Overpacking, after United Airlines and US Airways both said they will charge $15 for passengers’ first checked bag, following American Airlines’ lead. Most U.S. airlines, except for Southwest, already charge $25 for checking a second piece of luggage. US Airways also said it will cut 1,700 jobs, shrink its fleet, and start charging for all in-flight beverages. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Is Biden helping or hurting U.S. interests in Asia?
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- Watch The Daily Show use Pope Francis to hammer Fox Business pundits
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 'Tis the season for having sex with old flames and ruining your office reputation
Subscribe to the Week