OOD DAY FOR: A drug war, as Pfizer, the world’s largest drugmaker, is considering a counteroffer for Indian generics giant Ranbaxy Laboratories, the Business Standard newspaper reported. Japan’s Daiichi Sankyo bid $4.6 billion for Ranbaxy earlier this week. A Ranbaxy spokesman called the report “speculation,” adding, “We have a binding contract with Daiichi. It is a final contract.” (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Overpacking, after United Airlines and US Airways both said they will charge $15 for passengers’ first checked bag, following American Airlines’ lead. Most U.S. airlines, except for Southwest, already charge $25 for checking a second piece of luggage. US Airways also said it will cut 1,700 jobs, shrink its fleet, and start charging for all in-flight beverages. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
Subscribe to the Week