OOD DAY FOR: A drug war, as Pfizer, the world’s largest drugmaker, is considering a counteroffer for Indian generics giant Ranbaxy Laboratories, the Business Standard newspaper reported. Japan’s Daiichi Sankyo bid $4.6 billion for Ranbaxy earlier this week. A Ranbaxy spokesman called the report “speculation,” adding, “We have a binding contract with Daiichi. It is a final contract.” (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Overpacking, after United Airlines and US Airways both said they will charge $15 for passengers’ first checked bag, following American Airlines’ lead. Most U.S. airlines, except for Southwest, already charge $25 for checking a second piece of luggage. US Airways also said it will cut 1,700 jobs, shrink its fleet, and start charging for all in-flight beverages. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week