M. Night Shyamalan’s new movie The Happening opens on Friday, and critics are wondering if the film will re-make—or break—the director’s career. Best known for his Oscar-nominated thriller The Sixth Sense, his last movie, 2006’s Lady in the Water, flopped at the box office. (Reuters)
What the commentators said
Well, Shyamalan better hope The Happening does better than his last movie, said Matt Bradshaw in the blog Cinematical. Lady in the Water “left audiences unimpressed, pulling in only $18 million on its first weekend with a domestic total of $42 million, which fell far short of the film’s $70 million budget.”
It’s funny to think that just six years ago, Newsweek called Shyamalan “‘The Next Spielberg,’” said Bill Gibron in the blog Pop Matters. “Sure, The Sixth Sense was very good, and Unbreakable perhaps even better.” But these days, Shyamalan “looks like garbage,” and The Happening is “destined to go down as either the kitschiest camp trick ever played on an audience by a former A-list filmmaker, or the last gasp in a career downward spiral.”
Look, Shyamalan is only 37-years-old, said Richard Horgan in the blog Film Stew. “He marches to the beat of his own drummer and chances are that he will—sooner than later—find his way back to the great (The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable) or semi-great (Signs) tenor of his earlier efforts.” And if The Happening is judged by the “originality” of its premise and the “relative freshness” of its central storyline, then it should do well.
The Happening is a great film, said Ariel Raz in The Daily Californian, “a smart, beautifully vague thriller.” With The Happening, “Shyamalan justifies a comparison to Hollywood greats like Alfred Hitchcock, who in The Birds demonstrates how unfathomable peril can be all the more terrifying.” It’s nice to see that Shyamalan “is certainly maturing.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza's dad: 'I wish he'd never been born'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 10, 2014
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
Subscribe to the Week