GOOD DAY FOR: Working in the park, after a group of local investors took over a work-in-progress Philadelphia-wide free wireless Internet venture from EarthLink. EarthLink dropped the project after few people signed up for its $20-a-month service. Under new ownership, the service will be free and, eventually, available outdoors all over Philadelphia. (The Philadelphia Inquirer)
BAD DAY FOR: Belt tightening, as people looking to trim expenses are finding that walking and jogging outside is cheaper than belonging to a gym. Gym memberships fell for the first time in a decade last year, according to the International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association, and the numbers seem to be getting worse for gyms. (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
Subscribe to the Week