GOOD DAY FOR: Working in the park, after a group of local investors took over a work-in-progress Philadelphia-wide free wireless Internet venture from EarthLink. EarthLink dropped the project after few people signed up for its $20-a-month service. Under new ownership, the service will be free and, eventually, available outdoors all over Philadelphia. (The Philadelphia Inquirer)
BAD DAY FOR: Belt tightening, as people looking to trim expenses are finding that walking and jogging outside is cheaper than belonging to a gym. Gym memberships fell for the first time in a decade last year, according to the International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association, and the numbers seem to be getting worse for gyms. (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
Subscribe to the Week