OOD DAY FOR: Working in the park, after a group of local investors took over a work-in-progress Philadelphia-wide free wireless Internet venture from EarthLink. EarthLink dropped the project after few people signed up for its $20-a-month service. Under new ownership, the service will be free and, eventually, available outdoors all over Philadelphia. (The Philadelphia Inquirer)
BAD DAY FOR: Belt tightening, as people looking to trim expenses are finding that walking and jogging outside is cheaper than belonging to a gym. Gym memberships fell for the first time in a decade last year, according to the International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association, and the numbers seem to be getting worse for gyms. (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
Subscribe to the Week