OOD DAY FOR: Working in the park, after a group of local investors took over a work-in-progress Philadelphia-wide free wireless Internet venture from EarthLink. EarthLink dropped the project after few people signed up for its $20-a-month service. Under new ownership, the service will be free and, eventually, available outdoors all over Philadelphia. (The Philadelphia Inquirer)
BAD DAY FOR: Belt tightening, as people looking to trim expenses are finding that walking and jogging outside is cheaper than belonging to a gym. Gym memberships fell for the first time in a decade last year, according to the International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association, and the numbers seem to be getting worse for gyms. (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
Subscribe to the Week