78-year-old legally blind man has bowled a perfect game. Dale Davis of Alta, Iowa, used to bowl regularly, before his vision started failing in 1997; today, he can’t see out of his left eye and has only limited peripheral vision in his right eye. But at his wife’s urging, he took up his old sport again, averaging 180. Last weekend, he bowled 12 consecutive strikes for a perfect score of 300. “It was just a solid sound in the pocket,” Davis said. “For just a few minutes there, I felt like a pro.”
“Zeus,” a 13-foot manta ray weighing nearly 1,000 pounds, was a star attraction at the Atlantis resort aquarium at Paradise Island in the Bahamas. But after three years as a research subject, he was returned last week to his native habitat. In a two-hour procedure, his handlers slipped the animal into a hand-woven net that was hooked up to a helicopter. The aircraft then whisked him off to deep water in the Atlantic. But Zeus is not gone forever; researchers will continue to keep tabs on him via a satellite tracking tag.
In 1972, while Sandy Baumberger was a student at Alton Dental School in Illinois, her wallet was stolen. Last week, more than 35 years later, she got it back. A current student at the school, Eric Wherley, found the wallet in a school bathroom after a water pipe broke and loosened some tiles in the ceiling—where the thief had apparently hidden it. Using Baumberger’s various identification cards, Wherley enlisted the FBI to help track her down. Among the scraps in the wallet was an autographed picture of Baumberger’s college sweetheart, Bruce, who had written, “I hope to have you as my own one day.” Bruce is now her husband. “It was a trip down memory lane,” Baumberger said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week