A 78-year-old legally blind man has bowled a perfect game. Dale Davis of Alta, Iowa, used to bowl regularly, before his vision started failing in 1997; today, he can’t see out of his left eye and has only limited peripheral vision in his right eye. But at his wife’s urging, he took up his old sport again, averaging 180. Last weekend, he bowled 12 consecutive strikes for a perfect score of 300. “It was just a solid sound in the pocket,” Davis said. “For just a few minutes there, I felt like a pro.”
“Zeus,” a 13-foot manta ray weighing nearly 1,000 pounds, was a star attraction at the Atlantis resort aquarium at Paradise Island in the Bahamas. But after three years as a research subject, he was returned last week to his native habitat. In a two-hour procedure, his handlers slipped the animal into a hand-woven net that was hooked up to a helicopter. The aircraft then whisked him off to deep water in the Atlantic. But Zeus is not gone forever; researchers will continue to keep tabs on him via a satellite tracking tag.
In 1972, while Sandy Baumberger was a student at Alton Dental School in Illinois, her wallet was stolen. Last week, more than 35 years later, she got it back. A current student at the school, Eric Wherley, found the wallet in a school bathroom after a water pipe broke and loosened some tiles in the ceiling—where the thief had apparently hidden it. Using Baumberger’s various identification cards, Wherley enlisted the FBI to help track her down. Among the scraps in the wallet was an autographed picture of Baumberger’s college sweetheart, Bruce, who had written, “I hope to have you as my own one day.” Bruce is now her husband. “It was a trip down memory lane,” Baumberger said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week