About 300,000 veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars—18 percent of those who have served—are suffering from depression or post-traumatic stress disorder, according to a comprehensive new Rand Corp. analysis. More than half of those affected are not receiving adequate treatment, and the study warned of “long-term consequences” for the vets and for the nation.
Los Angeles Times
Commercial airlines took longer to get from place to place in 2007 than at any time in the past two decades because of congestion and time spent idling on runways. For example, a flight from Las Vegas to New York that took four hours and 37 minutes two decades ago took six hours and 10 minutes last year.
Last month was the warmest March on record, according to a global temperature analysis by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. The average temperature over the world’s landmasses was
40.8 F, which is 3.2 degrees warmer than the average March in the 20th century.
A growing number of cities and towns are installing global positioning systems in municipal vehicles to monitor auto use by workers and officials. “I think there is abuse,” said Yonkers, N.Y., Councilwoman Joan Gronowski. “People use the car during the weekday to run errands and on weekends to go shopping.”
Westchester, N.Y., Journal News
The downturn in the economy is not affecting the super-rich. Wealthy buyers have already bought 71 Manhattan apartments costing more than $10 million this year, compared to 17 in that price range in all of 2007.
The New York Times
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How to stop misogynists from terrorizing the world of gamers
Subscribe to the Week