An Arkansas man awaiting trial on murder charges has filed a federal lawsuit claiming that the small portion size of prison meals has caused him to lose weight. Broderick Laswell claims that in the eight months he has been incarcerated, his weight has dropped from 413 pounds to a mere 308 pounds, and that “about an hour after each meal, my stomach starts to hurt and growl.” Prison officials say Laswell, like all inmates, gets 3,000 calories a day, more than sufficient for a healthy adult male.
Several students at one Oregon high school have been ordered to go home and shave off their eyebrows. Officials at Centennial High School in Portland say the students had vertical lines shaved into their eyebrows, a trend apparently inspired by rap star Soulja Boy, and police had warned the school that the style had been adopted by street gangs as a badge of membership. “This is a way for them to identify each other,” said gang-enforcement officer David Schmidt. “In a school setting, it intimidates other kids.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
- How a drafting error could doom Obama's carbon regulations
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
Subscribe to the Week