German man cheated death when he fell down an elevator shaft and landed on a woman who had fallen down the shaft a day earlier. Jens Wilhelms, 27, says he was peering into the shaft “to check whether somebody was finally working on the elevator,” when he slipped and fell into the darkness. Wilhelm’s impact caused additional injuries to the bleeding 57-year-old woman at the bottom of the shaft, said a police spokesman, but probably saved her life, as “without that she could have laid there for days.”
Amy Winehouse’s jailed husband has been trading lascivious photos of the singer for tobacco, says a British website, ThePeople.co.uk. Blake Fielder-Civil, 25, awaiting trial on charges of assault and obstruction of justice, apparently gave seven intimate photos of Winehouse to a fellow prisoner in return for a quantity of tobacco, which he later exchanged for heroin. “Blake is always desperate for any drugs he can get his hands on,” said a source. “Some of the photos are a bit racy, but he obviously puts his habit before his wife.”
An Oregon pet-store owner who was attacked by a 12-foot Burmese python asked a policeman to rescue her without harming the snake. Teresa Rossiter had been showing the python to a customer when it suddenly attacked, sinking its fangs into her hand and coiling its body around her arm. When police Sgt. Ryan Nelson arrived, he drew his knife to kill the python, but Rossiter asked him not to. So he pried the snake’s jaws open with his hands. “He was the bravest guy ever,” said Rossiter. “He went way above and beyond the call of duty.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 10 things you need to know today: March 9, 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This energy source could solve all of our problems — so why is no one talking about it?
Subscribe to the Week