A German man cheated death when he fell down an elevator shaft and landed on a woman who had fallen down the shaft a day earlier. Jens Wilhelms, 27, says he was peering into the shaft “to check whether somebody was finally working on the elevator,” when he slipped and fell into the darkness. Wilhelm’s impact caused additional injuries to the bleeding 57-year-old woman at the bottom of the shaft, said a police spokesman, but probably saved her life, as “without that she could have laid there for days.”
Amy Winehouse’s jailed husband has been trading lascivious photos of the singer for tobacco, says a British website, ThePeople.co.uk. Blake Fielder-Civil, 25, awaiting trial on charges of assault and obstruction of justice, apparently gave seven intimate photos of Winehouse to a fellow prisoner in return for a quantity of tobacco, which he later exchanged for heroin. “Blake is always desperate for any drugs he can get his hands on,” said a source. “Some of the photos are a bit racy, but he obviously puts his habit before his wife.”
An Oregon pet-store owner who was attacked by a 12-foot Burmese python asked a policeman to rescue her without harming the snake. Teresa Rossiter had been showing the python to a customer when it suddenly attacked, sinking its fangs into her hand and coiling its body around her arm. When police Sgt. Ryan Nelson arrived, he drew his knife to kill the python, but Rossiter asked him not to. So he pried the snake’s jaws open with his hands. “He was the bravest guy ever,” said Rossiter. “He went way above and beyond the call of duty.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why America is duty-bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Here's the last time Russia shot down a passenger plane
Subscribe to the Week