A tornado that struck Hugo, Minn., last week left a string of bizarre coincidences in its wake. In Terry Clarkin’s yard, the tornado dropped four steak knives in a perfect square, each with its blade embedded 3 inches into the dirt. Over at Jason Akin’s home, the winds ripped off the roof, tossed furniture around like toys, and unrolled a roll of toilet paper without tearing it, draping it neatly across a countertop and then rewinding the far end. When he emerged from hiding and saw the line of toilet paper amid the chaos, Akins recalled, “All I could say was, ‘You have got to be kidding me.’”
A Chinese man is amazing crowds of onlookers by squirting streams of milk from his eyes. Zhang Yinming performs the trick by sucking milk through his nostrils into his sinus cavities and then somehow expelling it through the lower part of his eyes. He’s reached a distance of 6 feet, says the Beijing People’s Daily, and is also thrilling throngs in Nanjing by simultaneously blowing up two balloons with his ears.
A Japanese man who’d noticed food missing from his house for a year found a homeless woman living in his closet. The 58-year-old woman was finally discovered, says a police spokesman, after the homeowner set up a video surveillance camera and saw a woman raiding his refrigerator. He and police then searched the house. “When we slid open the shelf closet,” the spokesman says, “there she was, nervously curled up on her side.” The woman had moved a mattress into the closet, and would take showers when the house was empty.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
Subscribe to the Week