A tornado that struck Hugo, Minn., last week left a string of bizarre coincidences in its wake. In Terry Clarkin’s yard, the tornado dropped four steak knives in a perfect square, each with its blade embedded 3 inches into the dirt. Over at Jason Akin’s home, the winds ripped off the roof, tossed furniture around like toys, and unrolled a roll of toilet paper without tearing it, draping it neatly across a countertop and then rewinding the far end. When he emerged from hiding and saw the line of toilet paper amid the chaos, Akins recalled, “All I could say was, ‘You have got to be kidding me.’”
A Chinese man is amazing crowds of onlookers by squirting streams of milk from his eyes. Zhang Yinming performs the trick by sucking milk through his nostrils into his sinus cavities and then somehow expelling it through the lower part of his eyes. He’s reached a distance of 6 feet, says the Beijing People’s Daily, and is also thrilling throngs in Nanjing by simultaneously blowing up two balloons with his ears.
A Japanese man who’d noticed food missing from his house for a year found a homeless woman living in his closet. The 58-year-old woman was finally discovered, says a police spokesman, after the homeowner set up a video surveillance camera and saw a woman raiding his refrigerator. He and police then searched the house. “When we slid open the shelf closet,” the spokesman says, “there she was, nervously curled up on her side.” The woman had moved a mattress into the closet, and would take showers when the house was empty.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
Subscribe to the Week