GOOD DAY FOR: JohnSmith15934@email.com, after Yahoo said it is offering new e-mail accounts, under two different domains, for people unhappy with their current addresses. The new “ymail” and “rocketmail” e-mail addresses will be open for registration around noon today, Pacific Daylight Time. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Nosy bosses, after a federal appeals court made it much harder for employers to read their workers’ e-mail and text messages from company-financed accounts. The U.S. 9th Circuit Court panel said that if the e-mails are stored on an external server or the text messages are handled by a third-party provider, employees have a 4th Amendment right against searches by the boss. (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- This Indian meal service is so efficient it's the envy of FedEx
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- 10 things you need to know today: July 27, 2014
Subscribe to the Week