OOD DAY FOR: JohnSmith15934@email.com, after Yahoo said it is offering new e-mail accounts, under two different domains, for people unhappy with their current addresses. The new “ymail” and “rocketmail” e-mail addresses will be open for registration around noon today, Pacific Daylight Time. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Nosy bosses, after a federal appeals court made it much harder for employers to read their workers’ e-mail and text messages from company-financed accounts. The U.S. 9th Circuit Court panel said that if the e-mails are stored on an external server or the text messages are handled by a third-party provider, employees have a 4th Amendment right against searches by the boss. (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 8, 2014
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- The best movies to watch in theaters this month
- Is the Republican Party in danger of dying out?
Subscribe to the Week