GOOD DAY FOR: JohnSmith15934@email.com, after Yahoo said it is offering new e-mail accounts, under two different domains, for people unhappy with their current addresses. The new “ymail” and “rocketmail” e-mail addresses will be open for registration around noon today, Pacific Daylight Time. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Nosy bosses, after a federal appeals court made it much harder for employers to read their workers’ e-mail and text messages from company-financed accounts. The U.S. 9th Circuit Court panel said that if the e-mails are stored on an external server or the text messages are handled by a third-party provider, employees have a 4th Amendment right against searches by the boss. (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
Subscribe to the Week