GOOD DAY FOR: JohnSmith15934@email.com, after Yahoo said it is offering new e-mail accounts, under two different domains, for people unhappy with their current addresses. The new “ymail” and “rocketmail” e-mail addresses will be open for registration around noon today, Pacific Daylight Time. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Nosy bosses, after a federal appeals court made it much harder for employers to read their workers’ e-mail and text messages from company-financed accounts. The U.S. 9th Circuit Court panel said that if the e-mails are stored on an external server or the text messages are handled by a third-party provider, employees have a 4th Amendment right against searches by the boss. (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
Subscribe to the Week