OOD DAY FOR: JohnSmith15934@email.com, after Yahoo said it is offering new e-mail accounts, under two different domains, for people unhappy with their current addresses. The new “ymail” and “rocketmail” e-mail addresses will be open for registration around noon today, Pacific Daylight Time. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Nosy bosses, after a federal appeals court made it much harder for employers to read their workers’ e-mail and text messages from company-financed accounts. The U.S. 9th Circuit Court panel said that if the e-mails are stored on an external server or the text messages are handled by a third-party provider, employees have a 4th Amendment right against searches by the boss. (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 10 things you need to know today: April 17, 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week