Royal Dutch Shell closed down a 200,000-barrel-a-day offshore oil installation in Nigeria after the country’s most powerful militant group attacked the oil platform. The field produces about 10 percent of Nigeria’s output. Offshore rigs are considered safer than land-based installations, and such attacks are very rare. (AP in CNNMoney.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
Subscribe to the Week