Royal Dutch Shell closed down a 200,000-barrel-a-day offshore oil installation in Nigeria after the country’s most powerful militant group attacked the oil platform. The field produces about 10 percent of Nigeria’s output. Offshore rigs are considered safer than land-based installations, and such attacks are very rare. (AP in CNNMoney.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- A linguist's guide to HULK SMASH
- Your state bird could be extinct by 2080
Subscribe to the Week