apanese bank Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group may invest about $926 million in Britain’s Barclays PLC, to help replenish Barclays depleted capital. Barclays, Britain’s No. 3 bank, has lost more than $5 billion in the mortgage and credit meltdowns. SMFG, Japan’s third-largest bank, is also reportedly considering a business alliance in Asia with Barclays. (Reuters)
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- Was the sign-language interpreter at the Mandela memorial faking it?
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- 72 years together: The couple who died holding hands
- The last racial taboo
Subscribe to the Week