Japanese bank Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group may invest about $926 million in Britain’s Barclays PLC, to help replenish Barclays depleted capital. Barclays, Britain’s No. 3 bank, has lost more than $5 billion in the mortgage and credit meltdowns. SMFG, Japan’s third-largest bank, is also reportedly considering a business alliance in Asia with Barclays. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
Subscribe to the Week