apanese bank Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group may invest about $926 million in Britain’s Barclays PLC, to help replenish Barclays depleted capital. Barclays, Britain’s No. 3 bank, has lost more than $5 billion in the mortgage and credit meltdowns. SMFG, Japan’s third-largest bank, is also reportedly considering a business alliance in Asia with Barclays. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
- When will the Big One strike California?
Subscribe to the Week