apanese bank Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group may invest about $926 million in Britain’s Barclays PLC, to help replenish Barclays depleted capital. Barclays, Britain’s No. 3 bank, has lost more than $5 billion in the mortgage and credit meltdowns. SMFG, Japan’s third-largest bank, is also reportedly considering a business alliance in Asia with Barclays. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week