Japanese bank Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group may invest about $926 million in Britain’s Barclays PLC, to help replenish Barclays depleted capital. Barclays, Britain’s No. 3 bank, has lost more than $5 billion in the mortgage and credit meltdowns. SMFG, Japan’s third-largest bank, is also reportedly considering a business alliance in Asia with Barclays. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
Subscribe to the Week