OOD DAY FOR: Summer school, after a survey by staffing firm Manpower Inc. suggests that employers will be hesitant to hire in the next three months. Of the 10 U.S. sectors Manpower studies, only mining had a stable job outlook for the period; the other nine expected weaker hiring. Construction, finance, and real estate had their weakest numbers since the 1991 recession. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Amazon, after the Web retail giant’s site went down for about an hour yesterday, following a two-hour outage on Friday afternoon. (AP inBusinessWeek.com) Amazon, which drew 58 million visitors in April, loses an estimated $1.8 million in sales every hour it is down. (AdAge.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Bill O'Reilly: Obama's comedy is unpresidential, because Abe Lincoln
Subscribe to the Week