OOD DAY FOR: Summer school, after a survey by staffing firm Manpower Inc. suggests that employers will be hesitant to hire in the next three months. Of the 10 U.S. sectors Manpower studies, only mining had a stable job outlook for the period; the other nine expected weaker hiring. Construction, finance, and real estate had their weakest numbers since the 1991 recession. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Amazon, after the Web retail giant’s site went down for about an hour yesterday, following a two-hour outage on Friday afternoon. (AP inBusinessWeek.com) Amazon, which drew 58 million visitors in April, loses an estimated $1.8 million in sales every hour it is down. (AdAge.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- How Community's Dean Pelton broke new ground for sexual politics on television
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
Subscribe to the Week