OOD DAY FOR: Summer school, after a survey by staffing firm Manpower Inc. suggests that employers will be hesitant to hire in the next three months. Of the 10 U.S. sectors Manpower studies, only mining had a stable job outlook for the period; the other nine expected weaker hiring. Construction, finance, and real estate had their weakest numbers since the 1991 recession. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Amazon, after the Web retail giant’s site went down for about an hour yesterday, following a two-hour outage on Friday afternoon. (AP inBusinessWeek.com) Amazon, which drew 58 million visitors in April, loses an estimated $1.8 million in sales every hour it is down. (AdAge.com)
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Are differences in IQ to blame for income inequality?
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- How to dramatically improve your memory
- The 13-year-old CEO who invented a cure for hiccups
- Why learning which of your Facebook friends hate you is a great idea
- Australia just scrapped its debt ceiling. America should, too.
- 'You and I' vs. 'You and me'
Subscribe to the Week