GOOD DAY FOR: Summer school, after a survey by staffing firm Manpower Inc. suggests that employers will be hesitant to hire in the next three months. Of the 10 U.S. sectors Manpower studies, only mining had a stable job outlook for the period; the other nine expected weaker hiring. Construction, finance, and real estate had their weakest numbers since the 1991 recession. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Amazon, after the Web retail giant’s site went down for about an hour yesterday, following a two-hour outage on Friday afternoon. (AP inBusinessWeek.com) Amazon, which drew 58 million visitors in April, loses an estimated $1.8 million in sales every hour it is down. (AdAge.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
Subscribe to the Week