Sen. Larry Craig (R-Idaho), who was arrested last year for suspicion of soliciting sex in a men’s room at a Minneapolis airport, announced recently that he is writing a book. “There will be a bit of what’s happened in the last year and the way it evolved," Craig said. “I think that’s important for Idaho and those outside Idaho who are interested to know.” (AP)
What the commentators said
“Forget the Scott McClellan book,” said Ben Pershing in The Washington Post blog Capitol Briefing. “That’s old news.” We’re already looking forward to next year, when Larry Craig’s “tell-all tome” comes out. In addition to the bathroom scandal, Craig plans on addressing dysfunction and partisanship in the Senate.
Craig shouldn’t write too much about politics, said the blog Queerty, he should focus on the bathroom scandal, said the blog Queerty. Because let’s face it—his “sexual misadventures are the only thing” that make him “even remotely interesting!” We’ll see how his “second career” as a “self-serving author” goes.
You know what would really be interesting? said the blog View Through the Windshield. If Craig’s book “included his exclusive confession about being gay, hiding it,” and “actually being involved in the Washington DC page scandal back in the ’80s.” And while he’s at it, he could also explain how he dealt with the “guilt” of voting “against the entire gay community all of these years.”
Craig should do us all a “favor” and “write about energy” policy or something, said Kevin Richert in the IdahoStatesman.com. “Elected officials who have spent 28 years in office—and who are concerned about what awaits us in the next 28 years and beyond—write books about” such topics. “By discussing issues that are relevant, they make themselves relevant”—and that might be Craig’s best hope for changing his “legacy.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
Subscribe to the Week