itigroup is planning to lay off about 10 percent of its 65,000 employees, with the first cuts announced as early as today, The Wall Street Journal reported. The steepest cuts are expected in the mergers and acquisitions division, which was spared in a round of layoffs earlier this year. (MarketWatch) The largest banks and brokerages worldwide have cut more than 80,000 jobs since the subprime meltdown. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- How to flirt, according to science
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- Here's how to really detect lies
Subscribe to the Week