OOD DAY FOR: Naked gimmicks, after a U.S. federal judge in New York ruled that a $6 million copyright-infringement lawsuit filed against Mars Inc. by Robert Burck could proceed. Burck, known for his Naked Cowboy routine in Times Square, said that a blue M&M on video billboards appropriated his trademarked boots-underwear-guitar outfit. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: A sequel, as expectations that the Screen Actors Guild and Hollywood producers will not meet a June 30 deadline to resolve contract negotiations have led to a virtual shutdown in the film industry. Studios, still smarting from the writers’ strike, are putting off new projects until the negotiations are done. The de facto strike has been blamed for a rise in California’s unemployment rate. (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week