OOD DAY FOR: Passing the bar, after India’s civil aviation body said it grounds about 50 pilots a year for drinking alcohol before a scheduled flight. India has one of the world’s fastest-growing aviation markets, with dozens of new airlines competing vigorously with one another. Pilots, who are often called up on short notice, are not allowed to consume any alcohol in the 12 hours before a flight. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Budding friendships, as Anheuser-Busch is preparing to reject the $46.3 billion takeover offer from Belgium’s InBev, according to newspaper reports. The U.S. beer giant said InBev’s offer, which tops Anheuser-Busch’s all-time high share price, is too low. To raise its stock price, Anheuser-Busch will reportedly sell off its theme parks and packaging unit, cut $500 million in costs, and lay off employees. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week