GOOD DAY FOR: Passing the bar, after India’s civil aviation body said it grounds about 50 pilots a year for drinking alcohol before a scheduled flight. India has one of the world’s fastest-growing aviation markets, with dozens of new airlines competing vigorously with one another. Pilots, who are often called up on short notice, are not allowed to consume any alcohol in the 12 hours before a flight. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Budding friendships, as Anheuser-Busch is preparing to reject the $46.3 billion takeover offer from Belgium’s InBev, according to newspaper reports. The U.S. beer giant said InBev’s offer, which tops Anheuser-Busch’s all-time high share price, is too low. To raise its stock price, Anheuser-Busch will reportedly sell off its theme parks and packaging unit, cut $500 million in costs, and lay off employees. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be a moral internet citizen on the often-immoral internet
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
Subscribe to the Week