OOD DAY FOR: Passing the bar, after India’s civil aviation body said it grounds about 50 pilots a year for drinking alcohol before a scheduled flight. India has one of the world’s fastest-growing aviation markets, with dozens of new airlines competing vigorously with one another. Pilots, who are often called up on short notice, are not allowed to consume any alcohol in the 12 hours before a flight. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Budding friendships, as Anheuser-Busch is preparing to reject the $46.3 billion takeover offer from Belgium’s InBev, according to newspaper reports. The U.S. beer giant said InBev’s offer, which tops Anheuser-Busch’s all-time high share price, is too low. To raise its stock price, Anheuser-Busch will reportedly sell off its theme parks and packaging unit, cut $500 million in costs, and lay off employees. (Reuters)
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- No, Obama doesn't have to fire everybody in the White House
- Is it possible to live forever?
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- How to make the perfect hot chocolate
- Watch The Daily Show definitively prove that corporations are not people
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Watch the overstuffed first trailer
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: A tribute in photos and prose
- The indignity of canine bath time
Subscribe to the Week