GOOD DAY FOR: Passing the bar, after India’s civil aviation body said it grounds about 50 pilots a year for drinking alcohol before a scheduled flight. India has one of the world’s fastest-growing aviation markets, with dozens of new airlines competing vigorously with one another. Pilots, who are often called up on short notice, are not allowed to consume any alcohol in the 12 hours before a flight. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Budding friendships, as Anheuser-Busch is preparing to reject the $46.3 billion takeover offer from Belgium’s InBev, according to newspaper reports. The U.S. beer giant said InBev’s offer, which tops Anheuser-Busch’s all-time high share price, is too low. To raise its stock price, Anheuser-Busch will reportedly sell off its theme parks and packaging unit, cut $500 million in costs, and lay off employees. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
Subscribe to the Week