OOD DAY FOR: Passing the bar, after India’s civil aviation body said it grounds about 50 pilots a year for drinking alcohol before a scheduled flight. India has one of the world’s fastest-growing aviation markets, with dozens of new airlines competing vigorously with one another. Pilots, who are often called up on short notice, are not allowed to consume any alcohol in the 12 hours before a flight. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Budding friendships, as Anheuser-Busch is preparing to reject the $46.3 billion takeover offer from Belgium’s InBev, according to newspaper reports. The U.S. beer giant said InBev’s offer, which tops Anheuser-Busch’s all-time high share price, is too low. To raise its stock price, Anheuser-Busch will reportedly sell off its theme parks and packaging unit, cut $500 million in costs, and lay off employees. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
Subscribe to the Week