Goldman Sachs analysts said that Citigroup may have to write down $8.9 billion and post a net loss in the second quarter. Goldman lowered its rating on Citi to “conviction sell,” and on U.S. brokerages as a whole to “neutral,” from “attractive.” (Bloomberg) The analysts also predicted that Merrill Lynch could write down $4.2 billion in the quarter. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
Subscribe to the Week