Goldman Sachs analysts said that Citigroup may have to write down $8.9 billion and post a net loss in the second quarter. Goldman lowered its rating on Citi to “conviction sell,” and on U.S. brokerages as a whole to “neutral,” from “attractive.” (Bloomberg) The analysts also predicted that Merrill Lynch could write down $4.2 billion in the quarter. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week