GOOD DAY FOR: .vanity, after the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers approved a resolution allowing an unlimited number of user-proposed Web-address suffixes. Noncontroversial business-related or regional domain suffixes, like .perfume or .lasvegas, could be approved by next summer. Public officials and marketers had pushed for the measure. (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: A third wheel, after Palm Inc.’s Treo smartphone lost more market share to Research in Motion’s BlackBerry and Apple’s iPhone in Palm’s fourth quarter. Palm reported its fourth consecutive quarterly loss, of $43.4 million, as the success of its Centro handheld was not enough to make up for the Treo’s decline. “The Treo has fallen off the cliff,” said analyst Pablo Perez-Fernandez at Global Crown Capital. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week