ubai World and Russian energy trader OAO Roskommunenergo offered to buy newly deregulated Russian utility OAO OGK-1 for $5.34 billion. It would be the first investment in Russia’s energy industry from the Persian Gulf. Russia’s state-owned Unified Energy, which has raised $34 billion by selling assets since 2006, will cease to exist tomorrow. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week