Dubai World and Russian energy trader OAO Roskommunenergo offered to buy newly deregulated Russian utility OAO OGK-1 for $5.34 billion. It would be the first investment in Russia’s energy industry from the Persian Gulf. Russia’s state-owned Unified Energy, which has raised $34 billion by selling assets since 2006, will cease to exist tomorrow. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- The safest seats are at the back of the plane — and 5 other surprising facts about airline crashes
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
Subscribe to the Week