ubai World and Russian energy trader OAO Roskommunenergo offered to buy newly deregulated Russian utility OAO OGK-1 for $5.34 billion. It would be the first investment in Russia’s energy industry from the Persian Gulf. Russia’s state-owned Unified Energy, which has raised $34 billion by selling assets since 2006, will cease to exist tomorrow. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
Subscribe to the Week