ank of America takes control today of Countrywide Financial, the troubled mortgage giant founded by Angelo Mozilo 39 year ago. It is Mozilo’s last day with the company, which crashed from its perch as the No. 1 U.S. home lender after embracing subprime and other questionable loan types. Mozilo and the firm face several lawsuits and state and federal investigations. Mozilo “was an admired and feared competitor,” said National Mortgage News editor Paul Muolo. “But now his reputation is trashed.” (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
Subscribe to the Week