ank of America takes control today of Countrywide Financial, the troubled mortgage giant founded by Angelo Mozilo 39 year ago. It is Mozilo’s last day with the company, which crashed from its perch as the No. 1 U.S. home lender after embracing subprime and other questionable loan types. Mozilo and the firm face several lawsuits and state and federal investigations. Mozilo “was an admired and feared competitor,” said National Mortgage News editor Paul Muolo. “But now his reputation is trashed.” (Los Angeles Times, free registration)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week