Washington and California on Tuesday joined three other states by requiring drivers to use headsets if they talk on cell phones while driving. (Seattle Post-Intelligencer) In California, teenagers face fines for using a phone at all at the wheel. (San Diego Union Tribune)
What the commentators said
California’s $20 fines might not be much of a deterrent, said Michael Arrington of the TechCrunch blog in The Washington Post. But dirty looks from other motorists will make chatty drivers comply. The trouble is, some studies suggest that talking on hands-free devices regularly is just as distracting, and dangerous, as using a hand-held phone.
“It's common sense that drivers with two hands on the wheel have more control,” said the Los Angeles Times in an editorial. Anything that diverts a driver’s attention from the road is dangerous. Only time will tell whether the new laws save lives—but getting drivers to hang up is a logical move to make roads safer as people caught in worsening traffic try to make “lost time productive.”
“Being behind the wheel is no time for multi-tasking,” said the Salt Lake City Deseret News in an editorial. Skeptics say the laws will have little effect on highway safety because drivers still have plenty of distractions—including hands-free phones. But Insurance Institute statistics show that people using hand-held cell phones are four times more likely to crash than other drivers.
“The prevalence of Bluetooth sets may prevent car crashes,” said Michelle Durand in the San Mateo County, Calif., Daily Journal, but now that they have to wear them to talk while driving, people will never take them off. So now we’ll be treated to more people than ever blabbering to no one, and making everyday life unbearable for the rest of us.
- The man who sued his wife for birthing an ugly baby
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- Australia just scrapped its debt ceiling. America should, too.
- Are differences in IQ to blame for income inequality?
- How to dramatically improve your memory
- Watch The Daily Show pit Pope Francis against Fox News' 'War on Christmas'
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why learning which of your Facebook friends hate you is a great idea
Subscribe to the Week