OOD DAY FOR: Woman’s best friend, after notorious hotelier Leona Helmsley reportedly left instructions to set aside $5 billion to $8 billion of her fortune for a charitable trust dedicated to the care and welfare of dogs. Helmsley, who died in August, famously left $12 million to her own dog, Trouble. The new trust would consume virtually all of her estate, but the directions to create it may not be legally binding. (The New York Times, free registration)
BAD DAY FOR: Blockbuster deals, after the world’s largest video rental chain dropped its bid for Circuit City after examining the electronics retailer’s books. Blockbuster had offered up to $1.35 billion for Circuit City, which has lost money the past two years. After the news broke, Circuit City shares dropped 14 percent in extended trading. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week