Rumors and reported insider tips claim that Madonna and filmmaker Guy Ritchie are in the process of divorcing. Madonna allegedly met with celebrity divorce lawyer Fiona Shackleton, and has been seen with baseball player Alex "A-Rod" Rodriguez, fueling speculation of an affair. Liz Rosenberg, Madonna's representative, told People magazine, "There are no plans for Madonna and Guy to divorce." (Chicago Sun-Times)
What the commentators said
"Madonna is not having an affair" with Rodriguez, said Roger Friedman on Fox News' Fox411 blog. They just have the same manager, Guy Oseary. The scandal whispers are just part of a PR stunt to drum up interest in Madonna's fall tour and Ritchie's next film, RocknRolla. There's nothing better for ticket sales than juicy gossip.
Still, you have to wonder, said the VH1 Blog. "Break-up rumors have swirled," and "the couple awkwardly held hands and looked slightly downtrodden" when they were spotted outside a restaurant in New York. "So are Guy and Madonna really working it out or are they just attempting to present a united front for the media?"
Come on, said gossip blog TMZ, Madonna and Ritchie wouldn't be trying so hard to kill the rumors if they weren't true. Right after this story blew up, Madonna's rep denied everything, and Ritchie flew to New York for their staged, hand-holding photo op. "Couples that are about to get a divorce don't hold hands in public—right?" Right.
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The Black Death is back
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- Watch Fox News' Megyn Kelly claim Santa, like Jesus, is a white guy
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Millennial women have seriously narrowed the wage gap with men
- How Arrow became the best superhero show on television
- 5 surprising snubs from the Golden Globe nominations
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
Subscribe to the Week