Courtney Love reported that the ashes of her late husband, Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain, were stolen from her Hollywood home, as well as some of her clothing and jewelry. She had kept the grunge-rocker's ashes in a bag shaped like a pink teddy bear, along with a lock of his hair. Love said: "I can't believe anyone would take Kurt's ashes from me. I find it disgusting and right now I'm suicidal." (News of the World)
What the commentators said
"Okay, I don't know what's worse: That someone actually stole Kurt Cobain's ashes or that they were stored in a pink teddy bear bag," said celebrity blog The Superficial. "Wasn't a hollowed out Rainbow Brite laying around?"
Well, let's take this with a grain of salt, said Hollywood blog dlisted. First of all, the report comes from News of the World. And second, this is Courney Love we're talking about—"freaking out" and being suicidal are her natural state. But if this did really happen, the "obvious suspects" are: "Courtney's nose, Courtney's veins, all pink teddy bear kidnappers in the area, and Keith Richards."
Can't people just leave Kurt Cobain alone? said Nikki King in Paste magazine. Recently, Love reported credit theft "involving Cobain’s social security number over the past five years. The fraud includes purchase of a $3.2 million house in New Jersey and depleting the trust fund established for their daughter Frances Bean’s education." First, theives take his identity, and now his ashes—what ever happened to letting a dead man lie?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week