Only in America
The entire city council of Ashland, Ore., has decided to enter relationship counseling. The catalyst was Councilman David Chapman’s telling Councilman Eric Navickas to “shut your f---ing mouth” during last week’s meeting, though Navickas had previously called the city’s mayor “a Nazi,” and tensions have generally been running high. Taxpayers will pay $37,000 for the council’s five months of therapy, which “may seem like a lot of money,” said City Administrator Martha Bennett. “But if the council doesn’t function, the city doesn’t function.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The girl who wouldn't die
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- California's epic drought
Subscribe to the Week