Only in America
The entire city council of Ashland, Ore., has decided to enter relationship counseling. The catalyst was Councilman David Chapman’s telling Councilman Eric Navickas to “shut your f---ing mouth” during last week’s meeting, though Navickas had previously called the city’s mayor “a Nazi,” and tensions have generally been running high. Taxpayers will pay $37,000 for the council’s five months of therapy, which “may seem like a lot of money,” said City Administrator Martha Bennett. “But if the council doesn’t function, the city doesn’t function.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The week's best photojournalism
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- 10 things you need to know today: July 26, 2014
- Your weekly streaming recommendation: Black Death
Subscribe to the Week