Only in America
The entire city council of Ashland, Ore., has decided to enter relationship counseling. The catalyst was Councilman David Chapman’s telling Councilman Eric Navickas to “shut your f---ing mouth” during last week’s meeting, though Navickas had previously called the city’s mayor “a Nazi,” and tensions have generally been running high. Taxpayers will pay $37,000 for the council’s five months of therapy, which “may seem like a lot of money,” said City Administrator Martha Bennett. “But if the council doesn’t function, the city doesn’t function.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 20, 2014
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- Rise of the machines
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
Subscribe to the Week