Only in America
The entire city council of Ashland, Ore., has decided to enter relationship counseling. The catalyst was Councilman David Chapman’s telling Councilman Eric Navickas to “shut your f---ing mouth” during last week’s meeting, though Navickas had previously called the city’s mayor “a Nazi,” and tensions have generally been running high. Taxpayers will pay $37,000 for the council’s five months of therapy, which “may seem like a lot of money,” said City Administrator Martha Bennett. “But if the council doesn’t function, the city doesn’t function.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week