Why Kristin Davis sobered up
In one important respect, Kristin Davis is nothing like her fictional alter ego in Sex and the City, says Harvey Marcus in British Marie Claire. In the show and movie sequel, Davis
In one important respect, Kristin Davis is nothing like her fictional alter ego in Sex and the City, says Harvey Marcus in British Marie Claire. In the show and movie sequel, Davis’ character, Charlotte, delights in knocking back cosmopolitans by the pitcherful with her girlfriends. But Davis, 43, doesn’t touch the stuff—anymore. “I’m a recovering alcoholic,” she says. Davis first began drinking when she was a teenager in South Carolina. Her parents had divorced when she was little, and she was awkward and insecure. “I’m kind of shy normally, so I felt like I needed help. One thing led to another and I was drinking.” Soon enough, her grades began to plummet. She desperately wanted to be an actress, but after she started showing up to her acting classes badly hung over, she realized she had to choose between her passion and her addiction: “I thought, It’s going to be one or the other. I can’t really have both.” After a stint in rehab, Davis quit, and she has been sober for more than 20 years. Still, she feels a relapse can occur anytime. “Sure, sometimes I miss it,” she says. “Every once in a while, I’ll be with friends and they’ll be drinking red wine and I’ll think, in a really innocent way, Oh wow, that’s such a wonderful glass of red wine. Wouldn’t it be fun to drink it? Maybe it would be fine, but it’s really not worth the risk.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
Subscribe to the Week