Muslim women in Europe who have had premarital sex are increasingly resorting to surgery to restore the appearance of virginity, said Abe Greenwald in a Commentary blog, and the surgeons say this is
An increasing number of Muslim women in Europe are having a hymenoplasty, a surgical restoration of the hymen, to give the illusion of virginity. For Muslim women who have had premarital sex, said Dr. Hicham Mouallem, “if you’re looking to marry a Muslim and don’t want to have problems, you’ll try to recapture your virginity.” The issue gained prominence in France after a court annulled a marriage between two Muslims because the bride had lied about being a virgin. (The New York Times)
What the commentators said
Something is terribly wrong here, said Abe Greenwald in Commentary’s Contentions blog. Doctors quoted in the Times story said the surgery empowered patients by helping them control their destinies and avoid abuse. “Performing surgery on someone’s genitals in order to avoid murder at the hands of a relative can be called a lot of things. But 'empowering'? Maybe something got lost in translation.”
French feminists are understandably outraged, said William Saletan in Slate. They say resorting to surgery to fool people merely reinforces gender bias. Fair enough. But until the “twisted culture of virginity hypocrisy” withers away, if women want artificial hymen restoration to deceive their husbands and parents, “let them have it.”
This “whole thing is a grotesque testament to many Muslims’ acquiescence to male tyranny and sexual dysfunction,” said Andrew Sullivan in his blog, The Daily Dish, at TheAtlantic.com. For anyone interested getting to “the roots of Islamist rage and nihilism in modernity,” the attitude that women are dirt if they aren’t virgins at marriage “is one place to start.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to make corn dogs
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week