Best Columns: Clicking coupons, Slipping dollar
Clipping coupons is
The virtual coupon book
Clipping coupons is “time consuming and tedious,” says Jessica Dickler in CNNMoney.com, but grocery bills are “only going to get worse.” Luckily, new online resources “can help take the sticker shock out of food shopping.” Web sites like couponmom-dot-com promise to save you 50 percent on your grocery bill by matching available coupons in your area with items already on sale at local grocery stores. Grocers are also increasingly turning to online coupons that you can print or add to your “store loyalty card.” And shopping at the growing ranks of online grocery retailers makes it easier to comparison shop, “and the savings of time—and gas—can be substantial.”
Life as the bargain bin
The dollar has fallen 11.5 percent against the euro since last September, says Lesley M.M. Blume in Slate, and we should get used to being Europe’s “bargain bin.” As European tourists and investors prop up our retail and real estate markets with their bargain shopping, “frankly, it’s damn humiliating.” To make matters worse, thanks to our profligate spending and borrowing, “we have no one to blame but ourselves” for our “new national poverty and grim economic prospects.” But maybe it’s just our turn in the poorhouse—the dollar’s “former strength,” after all, gave us some of our “most important literature” by “allowing expats like Fitzgerald and Hemingway to revel in the then-cheapness of Paris.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
Subscribe to the Week